Become a Habitat Homeowner
How Habitat for Humanity homeownership benefits homeowners
- No cash down payment is required to purchase a Habitat home.
- Monthly mortgage payments are based on 50% of the appraised value of the house. For example, if a Habitat home is valued at $300,000, the homeowner’s first mortgage is based on $150,000. Habitat holds the second mortgage interest-free for 20 years.
- Homeowners gain access to market appreciation on their home.
Is my family eligible for Habitat homeownership?
Habitat for Humanity Edmonton believes that home ownership brings stability, safety, and independence. Habitat homes are sold to eligible families who qualify with our Servus Credit Union, our mortgage partner. If you are a hard-working family who would like to own your own home, Habitat homeownership may be for you. We help families who meet the following criteria:
- Families must have children under age 18 living at home.
- They must be Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada.
Ability to Pay
- Gross family income between $35,000 and $65,000* annually in order to carry the mortgage. *Range may vary in different communities.
- At least one adult employed full-time.
- Good credit rating (no bankruptcy, credit card payments are up-to-date, credit score over 650).
Willingness to Partner
- Families agree to volunteer 500 hours with Habitat.
- Families agree to keep the home and yard in good condition.
Proud to be partnering with Habitat!
“Habitat for Humanity answered my prayers. My family now has a bright future which not only includes a beautiful safe home but education and retirement funds both of which were just a dream until Habitat because now I am building equity with each payment. Habitat sets you up to succeed being a home owner with all of their workshops. They really stand beside you because your success is their success. I am proud to partner with Habitat and all of the amazing people who work and volunteer with them. I have been blessed beyond measure.” ~ Pam
“Without Habitat for Humanity, we never thought we would be able to give our children a home. And through our 500 volunteer hours, we learned new skills – and made new friends! Habitat has changed our life. Because of Habitat for Humanity, today we are home owners and we can see the bright future of children.” ~ Tsehaye and Birhanawit
“It was a lot of work doing the 500 volunteer hours – but it was worth it! What a great difference for our family to take on the responsibility of owning our own home, rather than just renting!” ~ Jason and Erin
Building community with my neighbours
“I was so ecstatic upon the news of being approved for Habitat for Humanity. To me this means a safe home for my children; a place they can grow up with community. While I was working towards my 500 volunteer hours I got to know some really amazing people and, what was even better, was that I got to work with my neighbors and get to know my community even better. A wonderful program with wonderful people. Truly blessed. Thank you Habitat! ~ Destiny
Dreams come true!
“One of my dreams as a little girl was to own my own home when I got older and to have a family of my own. Habitat for Humanity has helped me and my family bring that dream to pass and to carry on a legacy for the future our kids! ~ Lisa
“We will be forever thankful for this program and to the Habitat for Humanity people. Habitat for Humanity forever changed our lives! Not only did Habitat give us a home, but they also gave us peace of mind, financial freedom, and a brighter future for our kids!” ~ Jay & Vey
Hard work brings a sense of accomplishment
“Habitat for Humanity has proved to me that there is hope for us all – becoming a homeowner is a great accomplishment! With hard work by Habitat and partner families homeownership becomes a reality! Thanks for providing us with a lifetime of memories.” ~ Shelly